Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Lord Slays 70,000 Men

Today I read 2 Samuel 24 where David takes a census of Israel which for some reason I cannot figure out, angers God.  I think it has to do with David overstepping his authority, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why taking a census of his people is something that would anger God.  I cannot help but feel that this is yet another example of us not having the full story.  Because of David angering the Lord, over 70,000 people in Israel were slain. 

I once met a man on my mission who stated emphatically that the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament had to be two different beings.  The more I read the Old Testament, the more I am inclined to agree with him.  The Heavenly Father I know just doesn't seem capable of slaying 70,000 men because one man angered Him.  That is kind of like me getting angry at my daughter for something my wife did.  It makes no sense to me at all.  Maybe one day I will understand it, I can hope because it really does bother me.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment