Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Solomon Slays His Brother and Two Other Men at David's Behest

Today I read 1 Kings 2 where David dies and gives final counsel to Solomon.  I have to say that this read through of the Old Testament has given me new insights into David's character.  In this chapter he counsels and tells Solomon that he should have 3 men killed, one of them Solomon's own brother.  It is crazy to me, David tells Solomon that Joab had slain innocent blood, and maybe he had, but whatever happened to vengeance is the the Lord's?  Who is Solomon that he should take revenge on those men without the Lord expressly telling him to do so?  I have to say indeed that I am quite disappointed with David as I have been re-reading the scriptures.  He was a great man, until he became king.  It sure seems to me that power corrupted this once great man.

And for Solomon to slay his own brother and two other men at the beginning of his reign.  He is starting his reign as king in bloodshed, that is not a good sign.  Vengeance is mine, said the Lord, I believe he meant it.  The only one who can authorize a life be taken unnaturally is the Lord Himself.  Now, perhaps David and Solomon were following some part of the Law of Moses that I don't know about, but if that were the case, why wouldn't David have said something about it to Solomon?  Why would he just say don't let them die a natural death?  And why wouldn't David have told Solomon that the Lord had told him to slay those men if in fact He had done so?  No, this was nothing more than David helping Solomon to secure his kingdom through bloodshed.  At least that is how I read it.  And if I am wrong, then I will accept it, but I would have to be shown proof in the scriptures or revelation from God.  Because otherwise it is pretty clear to me already in the scriptures what happened.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment