Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Solomon Gains Wisdom

Today I read 1 Kings 3 where the Lord appears to Solomon in a dream and asks him what he would that God would do for him.  Solomon asks for the wisdom to judge righteously so that he can give proper judgements for Israel.  Later in the chapter the famous dispute between the two harlots comes before Solomon with the dead baby and the living baby.  Now that I am a father, this story has much more weight with me.

But I must say, what kind of sick and twisted individual is that second harlot?  I mean, it make perfect sense that the mother of the child would do just about anything to keep her child alive when Solomon said he would kill it, but the other woman, being perfectly fine with slaying an infant?  What is wrong with that woman?  If I were somehow in this position and such a thing were said to me, I don't care if it was the king, I think I would have to ask if the person was insane!  I really don't see how this would work with two rational human beings.  What person in their right mind is ok with killing a baby just to avoid being proved wrong?  Absolutely crazy.  Although, perhaps God knew this woman's heart that it was black as coal and so gave Solomon the idea.  I truly don't know, but I look forward to knowing the full story one day and perhaps talking with God about it.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment