Sunday, December 23, 2012

Ahab and Jezebel Wrongfully Acquire a Vineyard

Today I read 1 Kings 21 where Ahab desires a vineyard of one of his subjects.  The man does not wish to give Ahab his vineyard or even sell it.  So, Jezebel, Ahab's wife, has the man killed, much like David did with Uriah.  And so the man is slain by false witnesses at her orders, and just like with David, the murder is attributed to her.  As it should be, she is the Queen and she ordered it. 

I don't know how I would react if I were ordered by someone in power over me to do such a thing.  I would like to think that I would refuse, and feel quite strongly that I would.  However, how would such an act be viewed by Heavenly Father I wonder?  We do believe in being subject to kings, rulers, magistrates and the governments of the world.  But murder is wrong unless so ordered by God Himself.  So which would be the greater sin?  To kill someone unjustly by order of a King/Queen or President?  Or to refuse such an order and most likely go to jail or be slain myself?  Truthfully I don't know and pray I will never be in a situation to find out.  One thing I think would happen though, I think the Spirit would guide me in such a situation.  I think I would know in the moment what the right choice to make would be.  Honestly though, I hope I am never in that kind of a situation to begin with!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment