Saturday, December 1, 2012

David Talks about His Army

Today I read 2 Samuel 23 where David numbers his household and his men at arms, listing their great deeds out in detail.  It is chapters like this that make me question the Old Testament.  There are good things to be found in the Old Testament for sure, the book of Isaiah with all his prophecies about Jesus and His life is wonderful.  The creation and the exodus of Israel are fantastic, but why on earth do we need an entire chapter of David listing out his captains or men at arms or whoever they are?

History is a great thing and I am personally fascinated by it, however I have never been intrigued or wanted to know all the minute details of things.  I am not an accountant that gets giddy over numbers or a military man that is intrigued by battles.  I want to hear about the history defining moments.  And when I read the scriptures I want to hear about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I want to know how I can be a better man and better serve my God and my family.  I don't want to hear about David of old's family and his mighty men that slew so many Philistines.  It's chapters like this that in the past have made me give up on reading the Old Testament.  I do not get any spiritual strength from it.  Maybe with prayer I can have Heavenly Father help me as I read it and give me ideas on how to use what I am reading in my own life.  I can hope anyway.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment