Thursday, December 13, 2012

Solomon Loses His Kingdom

Today I read 1 Kings 11 where Solomon loses favor of the Lord and is told his kingdom will be taken away from him for marrying non-Israelite women and for worshiping false gods.  I cannot imagine having 700 wives and 300 concubines!  What a mess that would be!  Every time one of my friends finds out I am a Latter-day Saint and asks me if I can have more than one wife I always ask them the same question, "Would YOU want more than one wife?  Because I can barely handle my one wife."  And every time the person smiles, laughs and admits that I have a point. 

Now, that answer makes it sound like being married is a chore, but that is not the case.  I love my wife more than anything in this world.  The only thing/person I love more than my wife, is God Himself.  However, I could not imagine having another woman in my life.  I make mistakes and my wife makes mistakes and she frustrates me sometimes, just like I frustrate her.  I could not imagine having to go through that with two women at once.  And then there is the challenge of having the multiple wives get along.  It seems like a big headache that I don't need.  If plural wives ever comes back to the church, I will really struggle with it.  I would have to pray long and hard to be certain it was what God wanted of me.  I don't think I will have to deal with that in my lifetime, but if so, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  For now, I will focus all of my attention on my wife and making her happy, and that is enough for me!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment