Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rape and Incest Plague David's House

Today I read 2 Samuel 13 where David's son rapes his half-sister.  It is sad that people have so little self control.  In the story David's son, Amnon lusts after his half-sister Tamar.  He tricks her into coming into his room claiming he does not feel well and then makes his desires known.  The really disgusting part is, Tamar is not opposed to having sex with him and marrying him, but she wants him to do it right and ask their father, David to let them get married, but Amnon cannot or will not wait and so forces himself upon her.

The ridiculousness of his lack of self control astounds me.  The fact that she was willing to marry him and yet he rapes her anyway is nothing short of vile to me.  Rape of any kind is horrible and something only people of a sick mind would even contemplate.  For me, I could not even imagine having sex unless I was in love with the woman in question.  The idea of having sex with someone I am not in love with and doesn't even want to have sex with me just horrifies me.  Especially now that I am married and have a daughter of my own.  It is no wonder that when another of David's sons, Absalom who is Tamar's full blooded brother, kills Amnon David does not do anything to him or fault him at all, at least not the way the scriptures read.  Truly horrifying to read about and contemplate.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment