Sunday, November 25, 2012

Absalom Seeks to Kill David

Today I read 2 Samuel 17 and I have to day, I do not understand Israel's culture in the time of David at all.  At least I assume it is the culture and not just these individuals that are acting so peculiarly.  In this chapter, one of Absalom's advisers wants him to pursue after David and overtake him and his company so that they can kill David, the king.  When his advice is not taken however, he goes and hangs himself.  That makes no sense to me at all!

To me, if I give a suggestion to my boss at work, and he doesn't take it, I move on with my life.  I get over it.  Same when I was an Executive Secretary for the Bishop in my previous ward.  I watched the counselors and clerks and even myself give advice to the Bishop and it wasn't always taken.  We didn't take it personally, he is the Bishop, the final say was his.  I can't imagine being so distraught that my advice was not taken that I would decide to kill myself over it.  Perhaps this is one of those situations where there is more to the story than we have recorded in the scriptures.  I do not know but I do know that the way it is recorded now is quite ridiculous.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment