Tuesday, November 6, 2012

David is a Good Citizen of the Philistines

Today I read 1 Samuel 29 where David proves how great a man he is.  I have always felt that if you were going to do something, do it wholeheartedly.  David went to the Philistines, his enemies, to hide from Saul.  Now, some who went to his or her enemies would try and hide in the shadows and not really be seen and not live an upstanding life.  However, David did not do that. 

From the way Achish reacts to the other princes and how they treated David, David was a good upstanding citizen of the country he was living in.  The other Philistines were worried that since they were going to fight against Israel David would turn against them and fight FOR Israel instead of against it.  Achish argued that David had been with him for 16 years and had been upright and an outstanding citizen those long years.  Achish would only have felt that way if David had been a loyal citizen for this entire time and had been upstanding in all aspects. 

When my siblings and I were teenagers, my parents were always so happy to hear that whenever we left a job, first of all it was almost always on our own terms, that our employers were sad to see us leave.  They felt pride in their children that they had listened to their teachings and become good, hard workers.  They really did teach us well.  I remember I myself had one employer tell me he wished he had three of me instead of just one because he could count on me to get the job done.  This is the kind of man David apparently was in the land of the Philistines too.  You should always be a good citizen of the government in which you reside, which we have talked about before.  This is what God expects of us, and isn't that the most important factor?  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment