Sunday, November 11, 2012

David Sets a Good Example

Today I read 2 Samuel 3 which chronicles the continuing the war between David's house and Saul's house.  The one thing that stood out to me about this chapter is how good a man David is.  David mourns the death of Abner when he is killed.  Because of his compassion the kingdom was pleased with him.

Recently I had a discussion with my Dad while on vacation on whether or not it is ok to do the right thing for the wrong reasons.  He and I maintained that it was not good to do the right thing for the wrong reasons.  Scriptures and prophets tell us that the reason for doing something is just as important as doing it in the first place.  I don't think David was mourning the death of Abner because he knew it would improve his situation with the people, but rather because he truly mourned him and his passing.  When we do the right thing for the right reason, we can't go wrong.  And sometimes, people will follow suit and that is a nice feeling.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment