Sunday, September 23, 2012

God Refuses to Aid Israel

Today I read Judges 10 which I must say actually made me laugh out loud.  Sometimes I feel like reading the story of the Israelites is kind of like reading the back of a shampoo bottle where it says lather, rinse, repeat, because the Israelites do the same things over and over again.  Generation after generation leave the Lord their God and go after strange gods.

The part that made me laugh today was the Israelites got invaded once they went after strange gods, which is not surprising considering that is how God will sometimes humble His people to get them to return to Him.  However, in this case when they cried to the Lord for help, He told them to go ask the gods they now worship to save them.  That made me laugh hard.  I know Heavenly Father was not being silly and was very serious, however it struck my funny bone and was perhaps the perfect response to give a petulant child.

I had a very close friend when I was a teenager.  She would ask me for all sorts of advice and I would give it to her, the problem was, she rarely took my advice.  I would never say "I told you so" however it became increasingly frustrating to me that she would not listen to what I was telling her, even after she would ask me what she should do, and then do her own thing anyway.  Eventually I stopped giving her advice.  I told her I was tired of giving her advice and then she wouldn't take it.  So I completely understand how God was feeling when the Israelites ran to Him for help the moment things got out of hand.  Heavenly Father will not be mocked.  If we want His help consistently and whenever we ask for it, we have to serve Him.  Just like D&C 82:10 says He is bound when we do what He says, but otherwise we have no promise and it is up to Him if he blesses us or not.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to take that chance of missing out on a blessing.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment