Monday, September 3, 2012

Caleb is Given His Reward

Today I read Joshua 14 where Caleb is given a reward for all his faithfulness.  Caleb and Joshua were the only people that were above the age of twenty at the time they began their wandering.  When Moses sent in spies to look at the land of Israel, Caleb and Joshua were two of the spies and the only two that reported good things and that the Israelites could inherit the land right then.  Because they were faithful the Lord when He decreed that no one over the age of twenty at that time would be allowed to enter into the land, except for Joshua and Caleb.

Caleb tells us that he was forty years old when he spied out the land and it has been forty five  years since that time.  However he tells us that despite being eighty-five years old he is just as strong as the day he spied out Israel for the first time.  It never ceases to amaze me how the life expectancy of people has changed throughout the years.  Moses was 120 when he died and he was not bowed down by age that we are told.  Caleb is 85 and just as strong as when he was 40 and taking part in battles.  I cannot picture a single 85 year old taking part in a battle these days.  What made the difference?  Why could people live so much longer back then?  Where they buoyed up by God?  I guess I'll know when I pass on to the next life because it is not necessary for me to know right now.  But it is nice to see someone get their just reward.  Makes you feel happy and pleased for Caleb.  At least I do.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment