Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Ten Commandments

Today I read Exodus 20, the chapter most famous for the 10 commandments.  This is the beginning chapter in what is commonly known as the Law of Moses, or the law that God gave to Moses for the host of Israel.  This is also the chapter where the people gave up their desire/right to meet with the Lord.  Prior to this, the Lord desired to speak with the people and have them "see" Him in the cloud.  However, as the Lord spoke to Moses, it caused thunderings and trumpetings which made the people afraid.  When Moses tried to calm them and allay their fears, they wanted nothing to do with it.  They said that they would rather have Moses speak to the Lord for them on their behalf and then relay the words that God had to tell them through Him.  This is very sad to me.  That a people would willingly give up the opportunity to hear the voice of God for themselves but rather ask to have a spokesperson, a go between, for them and God.  I can understand that it was probably frightening, but for most people this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, to actually hear God speak!  I would have thought that the fear would be outweighed by the awe they would be feeling.  But I suppose not.  To me it is sad.

As I mentioned, this is the chapter where the Lord reveals the 10 commandments to Moses and to the world.  They are just as relevant today as they were when God first spoke them.  I sometimes look on them in sadness and wonder what the world would be like if they were followed the way God intended them to be.  As I have mentioned in the past, they are not actually commandments at all really, but attributes of God.  They are the way God lives His life.  If this is what God does, and we want to be like God, shouldn't we be trying to live these same commandments?  If we are trying to emulate His perfect life, why shouldn't we do all that we can to live like He does?

I've honestly wondered why some people seem to have such a problem with the ten commandments anyway.  I mean, it seems like common sense and they directly align with most government's rules and laws anyway, at least the ones involving our relationship with other people do.  But what is so hard about not having any other God's before Him, no graven images, not taking His name in vain?  No graven images in particular seems to cause a lot of people and cultures a lot of challenges and I don't understand why honestly.  Perhaps it is easier to worship something you can see?  I really don't understand it myself.

As most Latter-day Saints and Bible scholars can no doubt tell you, the commandments are subsets of the 2 great commandments, love the Lord thy God and love thy neighbor.  The ten commandments are all broken down into how we should be interacting with God and how we should interact with other people.  And honestly, who was ever miserable for following them?  Yes, I can see some instances where someone might need to steal in order to live when they have no food and have no method of getting food, or might have to kill in self defense, but otherwise, where is the challenge in following them?  Even if you don't believe they are from God Himself, they are still good guidelines for being a good person.  I mean who wants to be friends with someone who commits adultery, or steals all the time or commits murder?  I sure don't!  What a world it would be if everyone followed the ten commandments as if their life depended on it.  It sure would be nice!  If I make it to the millennium, I guess I'll find out exactly what it would be like.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment