Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Father's Blessing

Today I read Genesis 49 where Jacob dies. But before he passes away, he takes the time to bless each of his male children. He has some interesting things to say about some of them. The scriptures are full of instances of where the patriarch of the family gathers the family together as they are dying and blesses them one last time. Lehi does it with his family. Benjamin does it with his sons. Helaman does it with his sons too. It's a good pattern to follow.

In my own life, I have always treasured the blessings my father gave me. Growing up we always did father's blessings at the beginning of each school year. Even when I was graduated from college I continued to get father's blessings up until I got married. There is something special about a father's blessing that you don't get from any other source.

When I was a missionary I had a companion for 6 months off and on throughout my mission. He grew up in the ward that Elder Neal A. Maxwell, the Apostle, lived in. As such he had the unique experience of having an Apostle in their sacrament meetings and firesides about 60% of the year. My companion once told me that several members of the ward were asking Elder Maxwell to baptize their children, or ordain them to the Priesthood or perform other sacred ordinances for their children. At first he did it, but after awhile my companion told me that Elder Maxwell reprimanded the ward reminding them that he held the same priesthood that all the males over the age of 18 held and was no different when performing ordinances. He told them that by having him do these ordinances for their children it was robbing the children and their fathers of some of the sweetest moments in life. Elder Boyd K. Packer has also at times spoken of the importance of having fathers perform as many sacred ordinances as possible in their children's lives. It is the privilege and responsibility of all fathers to care for their children and provide for their spiritual needs as well as their physical ones. All fathers will have to have an accounting some day of how they handled their stewardship.

As much as I love my daughter now and enjoy spending time with her and in some ways wish she could stay this way forever, I really look forward to the day when I can baptize her and confirm her. To when she starts school and I can start giving her father's blessings. She is a very precious daughter of our Heavenly Father and for some reason He has selected me to watch over her for Him while she is here on earth. It is a charge I take incredibly seriously and if you are a father I hope you do also. If you are a son or daughter whose earthly father is still on the earth, I hope you treasure your interactions with him and still seek his counsel when appropriate and if needed, seek out a father's blessing on occasion. There's nothing quite like it! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment