Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Start of the Law of Moses

Today I read Exodus 21 where the Lord begins to provide the infamous Law of Moses.  I have to say, that it is quite harsh.  So many ways a person ban be put to death.  I mean, according to this chapter, even if a person curses their parents they are to be put to death.  If we followed this law still today, no teenager would ever live to reach adulthood!  And that's just barely scratching the surface.

As I was reading it, I could not help but wonder why the Lord would give such harsh laws?  It reminds me of my mission.  My companion and I were tracting one day and we knocked on a door and a man answered.  He invited us in and the proceeded to try and prove to us why the Book of Mormon was not true.  He also stated however, that the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament, to him at least, were two different beings.  That the God of the Old Testament was blood thirsty and vengeful.  At the time I thought he was quite out of line, and I still do.  He does have a point however that the overall theme of forgive and love your neighbor of the New Testament is very different from the theme of the Old Testament.

As I was reading today I could not help but wonder if the reason the Law of Moses was so harsh and base is because that is all the people could understand.  Paul teaches in the New Testament that the Lord never allows us to be tempted above that which we are able to bear.  Were the people just that different during the tie of Moses compared to the time of Christ that they were not able to bear the law of Christ?  I say most definitely they were not able to bear the law of Christ.  And so they were deemed slothful and not a wise servant, by God's own definition because they had to be commanded in all things.  I mean this chapter makes it seem like they had to be told in each possibility what to do and how to handle it.  That is quite extreme in my opinion.  But I guess it is what they needed at the time.  I am sure glad times have changed.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment