Monday, April 9, 2012

The Lord Shows Moses Signs

Today I read Exodus 4 where Moses receives multiple signs from God and is promised that Aaron will be his spokesperson. I could not even imagine being Moses at this point. I mean it's bad enough to cast your rod down on the ground and have it turn into a snake, but to put your hand into your cloak and pull it out again and all the skin is completely dead! I think I might have fainted. I often will ponder on the miracles of the Lord to determine just how they are accomplished, and there is no doubt that some of them are truly miraculous. Changing the molecular structure of water so that it is blood is miraculous. Changing a stick so that it becomes a living, breathing serpent is amazing. Making only one part of the body have leprousy and then curing it, is miraculous!

Now, I am sure that there are some biblical scholars out there who scoff at the idea and would probably propose that instead of performing miracles, that God is the greatest trickster of all time. I am sure it would be much easier to fool Moses' eyes into thinking the stick was a snake and that his hand was leprous than to actually do all the miracles. But that is not the way that God works. He does not work in trickery. That is the devil's realm. When God performs a miracle, it is really happening. The whole reason we use the word, miracle, is because we do not understand how it is happening and taking place. That makes it miraculous.

The rest of the chapter is Moses traveling back to Egypt. As he is traveling back, the Lord is about to slay him for not keeping the covenant of Abraham and circumcising his son. It is interesting to me that after calling him to be a prophet, the Lord would want to slay him. But I personally believe that the Lord knew Zipporah, his wife, would perform the circumcision and therefore make slaying Moses unnecessary while still showing him that he was in the wrong. That is my belief anyway. This story is nice because once again, it shows that prophets are people too and can make mistakes and have need of repentance. It's nice for all us regular folk and gives me hope that maybe I can make it. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment