Monday, April 2, 2012

Questions about Burial Places

Today I read Genesis 47 where Jacob meets Pharaoh and the Israelites are allowed to live in the land of Goshen, which I can only assume is where the fields for grazing were located since Joseph specifically mentions to Pharaoh that they are shepherds and have need of allowing their flocks and herds to graze. Pharaoh also tells Joseph to put his family over his, Pharaoh's, own flocks and herds. From this chapter it is easy to see the great respect that Pharaoh has for Joseph.

The most interesting part of this chapter to me is the part where Jacob asks Joseph to not bury him in Egypt. It is so interesting to me how people care so much about where they and their loved ones are buried. I suppose it provides a sense of closure for them. I'll be honest in stating that I don't understand it. But I also have a much different outlook on the eternities than most people do too. I have an eternal perspective that some people just don't have. I understand that when we die, our spirits have fled and what is left is just meat and bones, basically carbon and other elements. Dust of the earth if you will. I will not care when it is my time to go if I am buried, cremated, donated to science, or eaten by wild animals. Personally I think the last one is the most natural and provides the greatest use of the flesh left behind.

When it is time to be resurrected it will not matter if we were buried in an official cemetery or cremated or frozen in a glacier. But it is important to some people and I do not say they are wrong or say we should deny them that. I am just saying I personally don't understand it. I recently had a friend pass away and his loved ones had him cremated. It wasn't any less painful or helpful than if he had been buried. My friend was still gone and I will not have another chance to see him in this life. All I have are my memories. I have faith that I will see him again some day and where his physical remains, even if they are just ashes, are laid to rest in the ground will not change that.

But in this chapter it is obviously important to Jacob, just as it is important to others as well. Maybe I will better understand it when my parents, siblings and wife start to pass away. I don't know and won't until the time comes. But I know with my grandparents and friends who have passed on it didn't make it any easier. Time will tell I suppose as it always does. The thing that really helps me is my understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The fact that knowing because He died for us we will all live again. That is what helps me. I hope others find comfort in knowing they will see their loved ones again too. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment