Friday, April 13, 2012

The Plagues Continue

Today I read Exodus 8 where God, using Moses and Aaron as His conduits, send the plagues of frogs, lice and then flies. When I was reading this chapter today I thought at first that it wouldn't be so bad to have frogs as a plague, but then I thought about it and thought about having frogs everywhere. As far as the eye can see everywhere you look, having frogs, that would be quite awful honestly. And no one wants lice everywhere and flies are disgusting anyway. I once worked on a turkey ranch, where turkeys are raised, and the flies were quite possibly the worst part of the job. They really would not leave you alone when you were trying to clean out the turkey houses. It was awful!

The thing that surprised me though, was why Aaron and Moses kept ending the plagues before the Pharaoh actually let the Israelites go. I mean, after the first two times he did it, why are they believing the Pharaoh will actually do what he says? Why not take the Israelites into the wilderness to worship like they are asking, and then the plague ends? I don't know if that is the way God told Moses to do it, meaning end the plague then leave, or what. But whatever the reason, each time, Pharaoh agreed to let them go only to go back on his word once the plague was ended.

The only plague that it specifically states the Israelite did not suffer through with the Egyptians was the flies. However, I wonder if the Lord spared the Israelites all of the plagues to show the Pharaoh that He was displeased with him or just to spare His people the suffering. I would hope so although perhaps the Israelites needed humbling also. This is the same group of people that in a matter of months will build a golden calf after all! I suspect though that the Lord spared them as best He could like He apparently did with the flies. The Lord takes care of His people. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment