Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Israelites are Set Free

Today I read Exodus 12 where the Lord institutes the Passover feast. I doubt the Israelites of the time understood it to be such, but in our day as we read it, we understand that the the feast of the Passover, everything about it, and the final plague of Egypt are all a type and shadow of the death of our beloved Savior. The blood on the sides and the top are clearly a cross, the firstborn lamb without blemish is the Savior, even the fact that no bones of the lamb are to be broken is a foretelling of the Savior's death who died with no bones broken.

I used to wonder, and still do honestly, why the Lord would punish a whole country for one man's pride. It was the Pharaoh that would not let the people go, so why did the Lord kill all the first born of the Egyptians and the cattle? Why not just slay the Pharaoh's son? Perhaps because if the Pharaoh's son passed away it might be seen as an accident or might not be recognized for what it was? I really do not have the answer. But it is a question that one day I hope to understand. Even if it was something as simple as the fact that none of the Egyptians were innocent because they were all treating them as slaves, I have a problem with that because only the Pharaoh could set them free. It really is no use thinking about it because to my knowledge there are no answers to be found here, but I will know the answer one day.

I cannot help but wonder what it felt like to the Israelites, who had lived their entire lives as slaves to finally be free. What was it like for them that first night? I imagine they were all in shock and awe at the thought of finally being free. Like maybe they were in a dream. I wonder if some of them thought it was a trick? Perhaps so, but I bet the overwhelming feeling was joy and rejoicing and praising God for their deliverance. And rightly so. It was God who set them free and took care of them, as He always has and always will. He is always there for us, even if we don't necessarily understand His plan. It is a comfort to know that He has one and we are part of it. We just need to trust in Him. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment