Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Israel Sees the Lord

Today I read Exodus 19 where the Lord shows Himself to the host of Israel on Mount Sinai in the form of clouds and smoke and fire.  When I first read this chapter today, I was confused, because the Lord has been leading the Children of Israel ever since they left Egypt in a pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of light by night.  But then I realized that as awesome a sight as that is, especially at night, only the first few thousand or so would be able to see it.  The Israelite host is over a million people strong and the Lord showing Himself, even in a cloud, on Sinai, will be the first opportunity for most of the host of Israel to see the Lord and His powers for themselves.

Another thought I had as I read this chapter today was why the Lord is so rigid on certain things.  I do not mean the commandments and things that are righteous.  To me, that is self-explanatory.  But no I am talking about things like, the Lord commands Moses that any of the Israelites who touch the mountain will be killed.  I wonder if it has to do with the fact that no unclean thing can be in the presence of the Lord?  This is not the only time someone is killed, or could be killed in this case, for being in the wrong place.  When the Israelites are moving the ark and it is about to tip over, an Israelite reaches out a hand to steady it so it won't fall and then he falls down dead.  I have always thought that was rather harsh, but I understand that the Lord does not do anything, especially take life, without a purpose, I just don't understand what that purpose may be.  But I have faith that the Lord never does anything without cause.  Someday I will understand.

I wonder what it would have been like to have been there?  To see the Lord in thunder and clouds of fire?  What kind of feelings would that invoke?  Where the Israelites terrified?  Were they in awe?  I can't even imagine what it must have felt like to be there and see that.  It must have been truly amazing.  I wonder though if the reason the Lord appeared like that is because that is what the Israelites expected to see?  I mean, in later instances when the Lord appears to people it is not nearly as dramatic as all of that.  So was it that boisterous because there were so many people and it needed to be so that they could all see Him?  I truly don't know.  It really isn't all that important either, it is just a matter of curiosity.  And my curiosity will be sated one day.  It doesn't need to be today.  I am a patient man.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment