Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Plagues Start

Today I read Exodus 7 where the plagues of Egypt start. Just last night I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Catholic about this very thing and talking about the plagues and how much the people of Egypt suffered because Pharaoh would not hearken to Moses and Aaron. I had mentioned that it was sad to me how much death and destruction resulted from one man being hard hearted. My friend pointed out though that God always has a plan and for some reason this was the plan. And as I sit here and write this, I can't help but think that while we only hear about the Pharaoh hardening his heart, if the people of Egypt truly had a problem with the way the Israelites were being treated, they would not have been treated that way. At least that is my opinion.

But whatever the reason for the Egyptians being punished, it started with this first plague, turning all the water to blood. What would it have been like to suddenly have no water to drink for seven days? It must have been terrifying honestly. And through it all, I can't help but wonder, how did the Lord provide for the Israelites? They were working and slaving away doing manual labor, they would need lots and lots of water. How did the Lord ensure that they had the water they would need to be healthy and survive? Perhaps He changed the blood to water when it hit their lips, the same way he made the Nephites raw meat taste sweet when they were traveling in the wilderness I guess. The one thing I can be sure of though is that the Lord took care of his people.

I can't help but wonder if the reason the Pharaoh would not hearken to Moses an Aaron is because his magicians were able to replicate the miracles that were being performed? I do not know by what method the magicians of Pharaoh's court were able to replicate the miracles but I suspect the devil had a hand in it. We will know for sure one day but that is my thought. It must have been bad for those magicians when they reached the other side, having directly contributed to the Pharaoh not believing Moses and Aaron. I would not have wanted to be in their shoes. I guess some day we will know all the details and will understand better. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment