Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Israelites Murmur Against the Lord

Today I read Exodus 17 where the Lord provided water for the Israelites by having Moses smite the rock of Horeb and water came out from under it.  I can understand Israel's frustration, few things are as detrimental to the human body as lack of water/fluids.  I cannot even begin to imagine watching my daughter go thirsty.  It would hurt more than having a lack of water to drink for myself.  And I feel that this week in particular I feel I have a unique perspective on how the Israelites might be feeling.  This week, for the past 5 days I have been in constant pain because of a health condition that I have and has put me in the hospital one day and was so bad on another day that I literally for a moment thought that if I were dead I would not have to suffer anymore.  During those times I begged and pleaded for the Lord to please do something, anything for the pain to lessen.  As times I was in tears it hurt so badly.  Others I was angry that I had to suffer like this.  But through it all, I never stopped praying for the Lord to help lessen the pain, even just a little bit.  I can understand how someone who is becoming dehydrated and even worse, watching their child become dehydrated, would become desperate and would complain out loud what they have been thinking in their minds for quite some time and would reach out to pray for salvation in any form.  It is not so hard to see myself in this position honestly.  Although, just one week ago I probably would have had a very different take on the whole situation, I don't know.  But I have a much different perspective now on murmuring and complaining when it is life and death on the line, although I must point out my own pain was not life threatening.

The second half of this chapter is the story of Joshua fighting the Amalekites and Moses holding up his arms to help Joshua prevail.  As almost every Latter-day Saint who has read this story before me has, I instantly thought to the dynamic of a presidency.  The idea that Moses could not hold up his arms anymore because they were tired and so Aaron and Hur holding them up for him speaks loudly of a bishop or some type of president being upheld by his/her counselors.  A single person can accomplish much, in fact they can do something better than a committee can.  However, a single person can fail on their own and can grow tired and needs support.  That is why in the Lord's church, there are presidencies and bishoprics, not just a president and a bishop.  As I think on it, I cannot help but wonder how our country might be better off if instead of a President of the United States, we had a Presidency of the United States.  It may not be any better, but it would be following the Lords' pattern. 

When we focus on the way the Lord wants us to do things, we will be better off than we currently are.  The Lord's way is ALWAYS the best.  If we remember that, we will be well.  We forget it at our own peril.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment