Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Manna Ceases

Today I read Joshua 5 where Joshua is commanded to circumcise all the men of Israel.  I could not imagine doing that to grown men,  But it is the covenant that God made with the Israelites through Abraham and should have been kept by their fathers.  The chapter makes it sound as though they did not have the means to do this in the wilderness.  Truly I don't know but God has them carry it out and fulfill their part of the covenant. 

This chapter also records the first time in Forty years that the Israelites don't eat manna.  During the feast of the Passover the Israelites were able to eat some of the food of the land such as corn from the previous years harvest.  The Lord then caused the manna to stop and come no more.  Honestly, as miraculous as manna would be, I'm not sure I could stand eating the same food for every meal for forty years!  That would be a real trial.  I imagine real quickly that they would get full, but not satisfied.  I remember last year that I had to go on a liquids diet for a couple of days and every day I would get full from soups and jello, but I would never feel satisfied and some times I would even feel like I had not eaten anything at all.  However, the Lord took care of His people when they needed it, and that truly is what is important, not the manner that He did it. 

God will always keep His promises to us.  He has no variance, no hint of change in Him.  He is constant.  It is us that cannot keep to a steady course and cannot hold true to our covenants and what we have promised.  If we can learn to be steady and rely upon God instead of our own strength, then we can grow closer to our Heavenly Father and be the kind of men and women He wants us to be.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment