Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Israel Defeats Ai

Today I read Joshua 8 where Joshua and the Israelites defeat the people of the city of Ai.  This chapter reminded me a lot of the war chapters in the Book of Mormon.  Joshua and his people used subterfuge to obtain the city, or rather destroy it since they did not take possession of it.  Of course what made the difference in this battle is the fact that the Lord was on their side.

The Israelites had repented and stoned to death the person who had sinned at the battle of Jericho and the Lord was with them again.  The Old Testament certainly seems a harsh time to me, I mean a person allows his greed to overcome him for one moment and instead of being allowed to repent, they kill him.  To me it's kind of like if your foot is hurting you when you wake up one morning, instead of soaking it and trying to make it feel better, you just cut it off.  I really don't understand why the Israelites only responded to harshness like that.  At least I assume that is the reason Heavenly Father dealt with them like that.  I mean, we read that God is the same yesterday, today and forever so the only thing that has changed between the Old Testament and today is the audience, namely, us.

I know that I will have a full understanding someday, but for now I am just grateful to Heavenly Father that we are worthy of the higher law and can be living it.  I am not cut out for life in the Old Testament.  The idea of participating in killing someone, even at the behest of Heavenly Father, makes me cringe and almost want to cry.  I could never offer a blood sacrifice either.  I am too gentle spirited for that.  I am very grateful that all that is required of me is a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  I can handle that.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment