Sunday, August 26, 2012

Jericho is Taken

Today I read Joshua 6 which documents the taking of Jericho.  This is perhaps one of the strangest battles ever written about in the scriptures.  It makes me wonder.  The details of course are the the Lord had Joshua bring all the men who would fight and walk around the city behind the ark of the covenant.  Priests were blowing horns as they walked but everyone else was silent.  They did this for six days.  On the seventh day it was the exact same except the men walked around Jericho seven times instead of just once.  After the seventh circuit was complete, the priests with the horns blew a long blast and then everyone shouted.  At that moment the walls of the city came down.

I have often wondered about this story.  I have tried to figure out just how this miracle was accomplished.  I am convinced it has something to do with the foundation of the wall.  I mean this is a lot of people walking around the wall for a total of thirteen times.  Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people walking on the same spot over and over again.  It had to have weakened the walls in some way.  At least that is my theory.

I have often wondered just how this plan sounded to the Israelites.  Did they just accept it and do it as they were told?  I mean they were kind of used to miraculous things happening to them.  They had eaten manna their entire lives for some of them.  The Red Sea and the river Jordan had both parted for their crossing.  I'll bet most of them had no trouble believing that God would be able to knock down a little wall surrounding Jericho.  I would hope so anyway.  It can be hard to trust in the Lord sometimes when we don't understand all of what is going on, but it is important to put our faith in God.  He is the only source that our faith will do any good in this life.  When we trust in Him, we cannot go wrong.  And He has proved it time and time again.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment