Thursday, August 23, 2012

God Parts the River Jordan

Today I read Joshua 3 which contains what is, to me anyway, one of the most amazing miracles in the scriptures.  This is the scripture that gives the account of the children of Israel crossing over to the the land of Israel via the river Jordan, but on dry land.  Just like with Moses and the Red Sea, the Lord parts the river Jordan so that the Israelites can cross over on dry ground. 

I did notice something this read through that I had not before.  Many people that talk about this miracle remark how the river did not part until the priests feet touched the water.  In a way they are right, the river parted as the priests reached it, however the scriptures state that the river always overflows during that part of the year.  To me that indicates they had not quite reached the river proper just yet when it parted, however they still had to walk into the water.  Also, Joshua warned them it would be that way, that once the soles of their feet touched the water it would part.  Still, I do not want to downplay this truly amazing feat of faith on the part of those who were carrying the Ark.

I also have to wonder, as I do with the parting of the Red Sea, was the ground dry as if there had never been water?  Or was it muddy as if the water had just dried up?  It would make the most sense for it to be mud considering the fact that it had just been covered by water a few seconds ago, however that would slow down the Israelites considerably if that is the case.  I personally believe that it was dry earth but I have no proof of that other than my own belief.  I know that God is capable of anything and He is all powerful so that is what I base my beliefs on when I say that.  Chapters like this just serve to strengthen my faith and love for Heavenly Father.  Simply awesome and amazing!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment