Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Do not Turn Your Back on God!

Today I read Deuteronomy 28 and I have to say, the thing that went through my mind the most while reading this chapter was, "how many different ways can you say, 'If you don't do this, you will be punished!'?".  I mean this chapter is 68 verses long and at least 48 of them is the Lord spelling out all the problems they would have, plagues He would send and all around bad things that would happen if they worship other gods and leave Him.

And there is some really bad stuff in there.  Some of which, actually probably all if I knew my history better, have already come to pass.  For example God promises them that they will become a hiss and a byword and an example to other nations.  That has certainly come to pass in a big way!  There are some other statements in there that I really hope never happened but I have a sinking feeling they did, such as mothers eating their own children for want of food during a siege.  It makes me shudder to think of such abomination, but if God said it will happen, it must have.  God cannot speak an untrue word. 

With such threats out there to remind them, it makes me wonder, why would the Israelites turn their back on God at all?  The answer, I think, is the natural man.  King Benjamin taught us that the natural man is an enemy to God and will be forever unless he/she yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit.  When we think that we know better and try and do things our way, it almost always ends in disaster.  We cannot fall into the trap of thinking we know more than God does.  How incredibly arrogant to believe that we know better than God!  And yet we do it all the time.  We refuse to believe Him and follow His counsel for us.  As was promised, the Israelites have become an example of those who think they know better than God.  Do we really want to follow in their shoes and suffer all that they have suffered?  I sure don't.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment