Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Lord Gives Instructions

Today I read Deuteronomy 21 which has a hodgepodge of information from the Lord.  One of the main items that made me raise my eyebrows was the instruction if you have a rebellious son, he is to be stoned to death by all the people.  It is also a little strange to me that if you see a pretty woman while you are at war with her people, you can take her captive and force her to be your wife after a month.  It just doesn't seem like Heavenly Father to agree to allowing anyone to be forced into anything. 

This chapter also has some instructions for those who have multiple wives.  I won't go into the instructions because they are not important but it is interesting to me that having multiple wives was apparently a common thing among the people.  It is strange that the people of the early Americas were so opposed to the idea of multiple wives, yet supposedly read the Bible.  I can't help but relate the persecution the early Latter-day Saints suffered because of it to the modern day idea of homosexual marriage.  Of course the main difference there is that God approved of plural marriage among the Latter-day Saints and is utterly opposed to homosexual marriage.

It is never wise to go against God.  It is a little humorous to me how many homosexuals state they are Christians.  It makes me want to ask them if they have ever read the Bible.  But I personally have many friends that are with same sex partners and I enjoy their company very much.  I just disapprove of their lifestyle as does Heavenly Father.  But that does not mean I have to be unkind to them or persecute them, that is not pleasing to God at all.  We are to be kind and loving to everyone, but that does not mean we approve of their chosen lifestyle.  God will judge them when they reach the other side, not me here and now.  It is my job to love everyone and treat them with kindness and equality.  If I do not do that, I will be held accountable and judged for my lack of kindness.  No one wants that I am sure.  I know I don't.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment