Friday, August 3, 2012

Settling Arguments

Today I read Deuteronomy 17 where the Lord gives some commandments on how to handle hard judgments between people, especially between close kin.  Now, I don't mean to make myself sound like a saint, but I have always found it so sad and strange that so many people are selfish and care about winning the argument as opposed to considering the feelings of the other person.

I remember when my wife and I first got married I had a towel, a bath towel.  It was pretty ragged, I had possessed it since college and it was very, very worn through.  I liked it though because it was really big and I didn't have to worry about it covering me.  One day my wife and I got into a big drag out fight over the towel and she was demanding that I get rid of it.  It started to get to the point of shouting and emotions were getting involved so we decided to stop and let things cool off before someone said something they would regret.  As we fixed lunch and went downstairs my wife suddenly said that I could keep the towel.  I was surprised because she had been so vehement about it.  I asked her why she had changed her mind so suddenly and she said that she really didn't care about the towel, she just wanted to win the argument and she didn't want to be that kind of wife.  I was both shocked and glad to hear this admission.  I was really shocked that my wife would try and make me get rid of something I was so attached to just to win an argument, but I was very, very glad that she was able to overcome the impulse.

In this life I think we are much too concerned with how we look to other people and how we present ourselves.  We will argue and fight sometimes just for the sake of it all.  This is not pleasing to the Lord at all.  We need to think of others before we think of ourselves.  If we put the needs of others ahead of our own, we will be creating a more perfect world.  A world where there is no crime, no hate, a world that is welcoming of our Lord, Jesus Christ.  We should all strive for that.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment