Friday, February 10, 2012

We All Can Choose

Today I read Revelation 17 which is all about Babylon, the whore of the earth. It got me thinking as I read it about the natural man and how he is an enemy to God. I think that is why Babylon, or the world is so successful, they appeal to the natural man in us. Satan has been around for thousands of years, he knows what kinds of things men and women are drawn to, because the specifics might have changed about the world, but mankind is still pretty much the same.

I remember when I was younger that I used to wonder why the Israelites used to always go after strange gods when they had miracle after miracle that proved that their God was real. It wasn't until much later that I learned that a lot of the false gods worship involved sex that it became clear and I understood. People can be quite animalistic and let our baser desires drive us although for the life of me I don't understand why.

I can understand it taking time to learn control over ones emotions and bodily needs, but to let them drive you reduces us to animals. It literally sickens me when I see drug addicts or people addicted to anything, it completely destroys agency. And honestly as I think about it, I don't think the real danger in our times is the addiction. Rather I think it's the excuses we hear. People saying things like "I have an addictive personality". It is not an excuse. People talking about being born that way or they were born incorrectly or so many other things people say to shift the blame away from themselves. It's everyone else's fault but their own. God wants us to overcome the world and to conquer ourselves and become like He is because He knows that is the only way to be truly happy in this life.

The good news is that it becomes easier the more you do it. The more right choices you make, the easier the next one becomes to make and so on and so on. The hardest one is the first one and once you get that out of the way, it's all downhill from there as the saying goes. We all have the unique opportunity to choose to be who we want to be in this life. We need to make sure we take advantage of that opportunity and be the best men and women we can be if we want to be happy. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment