Friday, February 3, 2012

The Many Ways of Revelation

Today I read Revelation 10 which I've got to say is a little bit of a strange chapter. But it got me wondering, why are prophets shown these great and marvelous things, but then commanded to seal them up so that they don't come to the people? The obvious answer that comes to my mind is that the Lord wants to reward His servants, the prophets, who see the vision, but the common man/woman is not ready for the vision in question.

I know with some visions the Lord has told the prophet seeing it that He will try the faith of His people and that is why it must be sealed up, such as the vision that the brother of Jared saw. It makes me wonder though, have there been those whose faith were strong enough that God showed them the same vision? We wouldn't know about it if it happened I'm sure because such a vision and manifestation would be very personal, but it's kind of neat to think about.

When you think about it, all revelation is very personal. I have been told that Heavenly Father gives revelation to men and women and when we prove that we can keep sacred things sacred, then He will give us more. That being understood, it makes me wonder how many men and women are having supremely spiritual experiences on a regular basis that aren't known to others? I bet it's a fair amount actually. And it makes sense to me the more I think on it to keep sacred things close to your heart because any communication with deity is a very wonderful experience.

My mother and sister once asked my father, my brother and me what it was like to give a blessing, to be the mouthpiece of God. It's a hard thing to describe really and I have found that each priesthood holder experiences it differently. I've been told that some hear a voice whispering what to say, others have words appear in their minds. For me, I just speak what I feel and if I try and say something that I am not supposed to, the idea flees from my mind and I have to stop speaking and re-collect my thoughts before proceeding. I think this myriad of manifestations is also a way to test our faith. Because if you think about it, one of the easiest way God could "prove" He was there to the skeptics is by communicating the exact same way with everyone. But that would remove the need for faith. And honestly, He does have His favorite methods that I think probably have more to do with the individual receiving the revelation than Heavenly Father.

Whatever the manner, I am supremely grateful that God takes the time to talk to us, His children. So many people like to mock religion saying that God created us and then took off without a backwards glance. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Heavenly Father has watched over each and every one of us from before our mortal births. He is very invested in us as an individual and wants us to succeed. The only people who could characterize God as having left us are those who don't know Him at all and know nothing of His ways. I am grateful to have been raised with a proper understanding of His character. I hope each of you appreciate your testimony too. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment