Thursday, February 23, 2012

The True Miracle of Noah's Ark

Today I read Genesis 8 which finishes the story of Noah's ark where the rain stopped and the waters from the earth stopped. As the story goes the waters covered the earth for at least 8 months the this chapter states but I believe it was closer to a full year. But regardless it was a very, very long time. It must have been a very trying year for Noah and his family.

But I was thinking about it and it seems the more I think about this episode, the more impressed I am with the sheer logistics of it all. I mean, there was no way for them to keep meat on board the ark so everyone, including the meat eaters of the animal world were eating vegetarian that year. Not only that, but their natural aggression would have been tempered I think. While I do think they were probably in their own compartments, surely the predators would have been able to smell their natural prey all around them and I would think it would have driven them into a frenzy if God had not intervened. When I think about it, it just boggles my mind, I mean to me, this is almost more impressive than feeding the Israelites with mana for 40 years and having the clothing of the children grow with them.

Noah was as devout as they come though. As soon as he was on dry land again he built an altar and offered 2 sacrifices at least. And I'm sure he had reason to be grateful, after all, he and his family were the only ones alive on the entire planet! I know if I were Noah I'd be grateful beyond belief. And truly I am grateful because without Noah and his posterity, none of us would be here! So we can examine all the miraculous things that happened with Noah and his experience, but the true miracle is that it happened. He was preserved and so we are here today. And I for one am very grateful for that! Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your thoughts on the scriptures.

    The story of Noah is remarkable. I liked your comment about the meat eaters and the natural prey problem. Interesting.

    Becca
    My Soul Delighteth

    ReplyDelete