Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sharing the Gospel, a Universal Responsibility

Today I read Revelation 14 a much happier chapter about the work of Jesus Christ and God the Father progressing. I had a thought while reading this chapter, have you ever noticed anytime it mentions a gender of an angel in the scriptures it's male? I just noticed that this morning as I was reading this chapter. I wonder why anytime an angel does something on behalf of the Lord, it's a male angel? I am sure it has something to do with the Priesthood, but I am not sure what. It was just something I noticed.

The thing that stood out to me in this chapter was missionary work. John saw the angels thrusting in their sickles with their might which has always been an analogy for missionary work. It is always interesting to me that the Lord uses us, His imperfect tools to spread the Gospel. It reminds me of a conversation I had once with a missionary companion that I had. We were talking one day and my companion asked if I thought that God had a plan B. Meaning, that He expects us as members and especially as missionaries to spread the Gospel. Well suppose He counted on us teaching the Gospel to a certain person but for whatever reason, because of the choices that we made it didn't happen. Does He have a plan B where that person still gets taught the Gospel in this life?

I personally don't think we can frustrate the plans of God that would require a "plan B". I think that God knows the end from the beginning as He has said and as such, we can't frustrate the plans of God and He knows if we will actually open our mouths to spread the Gospel or not. Now, that does not mean He will stop giving us opportunities to do the things He asks of us so that we can grow. But think about Abraham. God did not need to know if Abraham would sacrifice Isaac because God asked him to, Abraham needed to know that he would sacrifice his son because God asked him to. The tests that we are given in this life are to help us find out about ourselves, to help us understand what we are capable of.

I think that God gives us trials both so that we will grow and step out of our comfort zones, but also so that we can learn about ourselves and make decisions that we otherwise might not make. I mean honestly, how many of us before we are put in those situations think about what we would do in a situation where a person is attacking us about our beliefs? Not many of us that's for sure. We think and plan about if we are ever offered a cigarette or pre-marital sex, but I don't think many of us plan ahead concerning missionary opportunities. Now, I think we do when we have made up our minds to share the Gospel, but before that, I'm not so sure.

We need to take our responsibility of sharing the Gospel seriously. God expects us to do our part and to speak about who we are and what we believe on a regular basis to those around us. It becomes easier the more you do it. And it is a wonderful feeling when we do share the Gospel. We need to make sure that we are more concerned with the well being of those with whom we might share the Gospel than with our own fears. If we do, then the Lord will bless us for our efforts and that is all He asks of us. And if we don't do it, then we will have to answer to Him about why we didn't. None of us wants that, I can promise you that! Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. "I don't think many of us plan ahead concerning missionary opportunities." - That hit me right between the eyes. I am a big supporter of "make the decision now and then you will respond automatically in the situation" - but I had only thought about in times of opposition not how to act in times of opportunity.

    Thanks for pointing that out. I will have to sit down now and make those decisions.

    ReplyDelete