Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New Jerusalem and Temples

Today I read Revelation 21 which mainly contains information about the city of New Jerusalem, the one that is prophesied to be built in Missouri. This chapter contains several dimensions and what it will look like which to some might be very interesting indeed. I was more intrigued that John said only those who are written in the Lambs book of life may enter into the city. Now, it is interesting that John would make such a distinction because to my understanding, those will be the only people left on the earth! I don't have all the prophecies memorized but I do believe that New Jerusalem gets built just before the Second Coming of Christ or just after, I cannot remember which. But either way the wicked won't be around very long to try and enter into the city.

That will be kind of nice, to have an entire city like a temple that only those worthy to do so may enter in. That is one of the most wonderful things about the temple, that you can go and find peace from the world there every time. Only those who are there to do the will of God are inside and it is always such a refreshing experience. My wife and I only have our 18 month old daughter right now but because she has seen so many doctors in her life, she won't allow anyone besides my wife and I to hold her unless they have been around her for several days and even then it takes a lot for her to trust them. I bring this up because one of our goals this year is to attend the temple at least once every other month. Because we cannot leave our daughter with a babysitter, she has to come with us. Last month it was my wife's turn to do some ordinances and I sat with our daughter in the waiting room. It was such a wonderful experience just being inside the temple as a family and watching my daughter play inside the temple and later walking around the temple grounds. There is no place on earth quite like the temple and I hope each of you who are Latter-day Saint who read this are taking advantage of the opportunity to attend the temple as often as possible.

I don't want to cheapen the the temple experience by talking about it too much and making it common so I'll end here, but we have been encouraged by the brethren to always hold a temple recommend when possible and if not possible to live the standards and be worthy of one. However, I would say that just having a temple recommend is not enough, we have to actually use it too. The Lord needs us to do that temple work so it can get done, but we also need the temple work in our lives. It helps put so much into perspective and to help us stay focused on what is positive and right in life. I just can't say enough good things about the temple. If you have not been in a while, I encourage you to go. If you recently went, go again. You cannot go often enough. It's not possible. Go and find out what a world without Satan would feel like. It's indescribable! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment