Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adam and Eve's Children Reject the Gospel

Today I read Genesis 4 where Cain kills Abel and the story of Adam and Eve continue. I've got to say that reading Genesis is a bit like reading a cliff notes version of a book. As I was reading this chapter this morning all I could think to myself is that it's no wonder some people are confused when they read the Bible and I am extremely grateful that I have the Pearl of Great Price so that I can understand everything that actually happened and that I can know why Cain killed Abel and other things such as why Lamech thinks he will be avenged even more than Cain if someone kills him.

I've always felt bad for Adam and Eve. I could not imagine their plight. I mean they had sons and daughters by the score who rejected God in favor of Satan. It must have been so hard for Adam and Eve who had seen God with their own eyes to have their offspring utterly reject God like that. Any parent who has a child stray from the Gospel can relate I am sure. But to have all of your children stray like that must have been very, very hard to handle. Fortunately they eventually had Abel and then Seth afterwards. I've often wondered why so many of their children rejected what they had to say since they could tell their children that they knew without a doubt that God existed and had seen Him. I now it has to do with Satan and the fact that he walked openly among them. And perhaps he came in when Adam and Eve's offspring were most vulnerable, I just don't know.

This chapter also makes me think of Lehi's speech to his son, Jacob in 2 Nephi 2 where he tells Jacob that there must be opposition in all things. Almost right from the beginning there were two different groups of people. The sons of Adam who believe and those that don't. Cain went off on his own and created a society of his own. Right from the beginning they were separate. Just like Lehi said and God too, He uses the wicked to stir up the righteous unto remembrance and to turn to Him. It makes me wonder if the attacks on the Wold Trade Center were to stir us up to remembrance and if so, we might just be due another one because we have far passed where we once were and where we should be as a society.

Whatever the reason, the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve rejected the truth and chose instead to follow Satan. In our day and age we face the same problem. So many people are following Satan and choosing to do that which is wrong in the sight of the Lord. It is very disheartening and puts greater pressure on us to live the Gospel and to do what is right. We have to be the example to those around us in order to help them. People don't like to be preached to, but they can't deny their observations and that is why we are encouraged to wear our religion on our sleeves. Make sure you are being a good example to those around you. It may be the only time they get to see a good example. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment