Saturday, August 7, 2010

The True Order of Repentance

Today I read Mosiah 27. This is one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. In this chapter Alma and the sons of Mosiah see an angel and are converted to the true knowledge of their Redeemer. I find it incredibly fascinating that the angel appearing unto was not because the Lord knew they would repent and become powerful tools in His hands, but rather the angel was sent as an answer to prayer by Alma's father.

The reason I love this chapter, is that it gives me hope. In the very next chapter Mormon tells us that these 5 men were the very vilest of sinners. We are led to believe that Alma the Younger committed every sin in the book except for murder and denying the Holy Ghost. And at the end of his life he was translated! That gives me incredible hope for myself, because I am not the best person on this planet. I struggle daily against my own nature, the natural man, so that I can align my desires more in tune with what Heavenly Father wants so that I will desire it also.

In the next chapter Mormon also tells us that the Lord promised the sons of Mosiah eternal life. So not only was Alma spared so were the sons of Mosiah. Now, the I think the key to why they were promised the ultimate reward is how they spent the rest of their lives. It says that they spent it in service to God trying to repair the wrongs that they had caused.

I labeled this post the true order of repentance because I think people have a real askew attitude towards repentance. They tend to only do a part of what is necessary. For example, some religions only focus on the confession part and totally leave out the restitution and forsaking part. I believe they include the sorrow, at least some of them, else why would they confess at all? Many, many people in my religion confess, sorrow and do their best to forsake but do not make restitution.

The sons of Mosiah and Alma spent the rest of their lives making restitution for the mistakes that they made. They spent their lives in service to God. As should we. The saying goes that the punishment should fit the crime. I believe that is a misnomer based upon the true system of restitution. Some instances are easy enough to restore. If you stole something you must give it back. If you hit someone, you must say your sorry and I believe pay for their medical expenses.

However somethings are harder to restore. How does a spouse restore infidelity? I believe by living a life of absolute fidelity to their spouse from that moment on. By becoming a champion of chastity and turning their life over to God to help them change their very nature. The only way to give restitution for a murder is to give your life over to God. Only God can forgive someone for willful murder. There is some theories though that literally giving up your life helps with the repentance process, that is why the death penalty was instituted in the first place I think.

The final piece of repentance is of course forsaking. This is the part that is hardest of all. To truly change ones nature and to overcome the temptation to stay as you are and do what you find pleasure in. That is where one needs the healing power of the Atonement and help from God in changing ones very nature so that the thing becomes distasteful and repugnant. Just like the sons of Mosiah it filled their soul with horror to think that anyone might suffer as they did. They could not even abide the thought. That is the true reason why they spent the remainder of their lives in service to God preaching the word. They were truly converted. May we all truly repent of our sins and day by day grow closer to our Father in Heaven. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment