Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Joy of an Angel

Today I read Alma 8, where Alma goes to preach to the people of Ammonihah the first time. He is cast out by the people and is commanded to return to preach where he meets Amulek. I have often wondered about this chapter because an angel appears to Alma to command him to return and we find that it was in fact the same angel who was sent to call Alma to repentance.

Ever since my mission I have wondered if that angel was excited to be sent to Alma a second time and see that his message was heeded. Was he happy that Alma had turned his life around? I do not believe it is anywhere in the scriptures but it has been said before that there is more joy in a sinner who has repented than in someone who stayed faithful their entire life. I do not know if this is true, but I do know that there is great joy in the truly repentant. I can remember when my older brother returned to activity in the church how happy I was for him and then to watch him grow and progress in the gospel and his testimony was a true joy to my soul!

I really do believe that angel was happy to get that assignment and maybe even requested that he personally be sent to give Alma this new message just so he could see Alma face to face. I may never know for certain if this is the case but I like to think that it is.

The rest of this chapter is very good also. In this chapter Alma meets what will become his partner on many missions, Amulek. I have often found certain scriptures to be oddly written and even down right funny, like Mosiah 12:1 where it says Abinadi came among the people in disguise so they knew him not and then announces who he is! I know, I know, it's very juvenile, but I find it really funny. Well Alma 8 contains another such verse to me, where Alma asks Amulek for something to eat and Amulek's first response is, "I am a Nephite". Yes, I understand that he then goes on to say he recognizes Alma as a prophet because he, Amulek, is a Nephite, however the way it is written always tickles my funny bone.

Until I was a missionary I had always read the 2nd half of this chapter in such a way that Alma went into Amulek's house and rested for a while until it was time. But on my mission I learned that Alma actually spent this time converting Amulek and teaching him the gospel, which only makes sense once you read Alma 10 where Amulek says he had purposely not sought out the things of God until this time even though he had been called many times. We do not know how long Alma spent teaching Amulek but we do know that he was an adept pupil. He learned the gospel so well that when it was time he was able to preach with power and authority.

People have often wondered at the wisdom in sending out 19 year old kids to do missionary work. Having been a missionary I recognize that if you get more than 2 of them together at any given time you realize really quickly that these are just a bunch of 19 - 21 year old kids in most cases. But the Lord can do marvelous things with someone who is properly prepared. I said things that I KNOW came from God and not from me many times on my mission. I have had experiences where I was talking to someone and I think, "What am I going to say to this person to help them understand?" and then knowledge literally flows into my mind. I have definitely had the Spirit help me say things that I would never have thought of on my own and made promises in His name that were fulfilled. When one is properly prepared and living the commandments it is amazing what can be accomplished with the Lord's help.

I used to work with a self professed atheist. One day he and I were talking and he asked me why I believe in God. My answer was immediate and strong that I had seen too much, heard too much and felt too much to doubt the fact that there was in fact a God and He very much cared about us. I could have said just about anything else and I think he would have argued with me, but he just looked me in the eye and smiled and the conversation went on to other things. I have often wondered why people can NOT believe in God. How can they deny the existence of someone more powerful than them with all the world and universe around them as their witness. I think some are blind because they do not wish to see, and that makes me sad.

I hope that we can all treasure the wonderful gift that is our testimony, for it truly is a gift from God. Share it with all the world for it is not something to be locked away and viewed with infrequency. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment