Monday, August 2, 2010

The Pride Cycle

Today I read Mosiah 22. In this chapter the people of Limhi are liberated from bondage to the Lamanites after several years of virtual enslavement. This chapter always reminds me of the pride cycle.

The pride cycle is one we see over and over again in the Book of Mormon and one we see in ourselves if we are honest with ourselves. Essentially it can start anywhere but it typically starts with the people being blessed with peace and prosperity for too long. They are blessed with too much wealth and nothing to remind them of the Lord their God.

This is followed by an increase in pride. They cease to take care of the poor among them and mock the humble because of their humility. They start to do all the things people do when full of pride including not following the commandments of God. The Lord sends prophets to remind them of their covenants and foretell what will happen if things are left unchecked.

This is then followed by some form of calamity where the Lord steps in and compels the people to be humble. This can be in any number of forms, usually for the Nephites though it is war of some kind followed by bondage. The people have something so terrible happen to them that they are forced to lower themselves to the dust of the earth and plead with the Lord for deliverance. Sadly, the Lord is slow to hear their cries, not out of a lack of love, but rather it is love that compels Him to not rescue His people right away. If He were to reach out His hand and smite their enemies, His people would learn nothing.

I find it interesting that more often than not, He will help His people right away, just not in ways they think of. For example, if a people are enslaved and forced to carry heavy burdens, more often than not instead of liberating them, He makes the people stronger so it's not so much of a task to carry the heavy thing. I've always tried to make sure that when things happen to me, especially bad things that I try and learn whatever I can from them to ensure that I don't have to repeat the experience.

Finally, after the people have humbled themselves sufficiently before Him, the Lord delivers His people from the bondage or the destruction that has been brought upon them and they begin again to have peace and prosperity. Sometimes I really do think that people have the memory of a goldfish. I do not understand why people fall into the pride cycle. And yet I find myself there just as often as I see others there. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, so the saying goes.

It is quite challenging to do that which is right at all times. I have a collection of several biographies of the modern day prophets. I am trying to get at least one per modern day prophet. It is a great comfort to read these books and realize that they were not born prophets. They had to learn line upon line just like we do. They made mistakes and had their challenges just like we all do. It gives me hope for myself. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment