Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Purpose of Church

Today I read Mosiah 25. This chapter talks about the conversion of the people of Limhi and the forming of churches throughout the land. I find it interesting that one of the first things people want when they feel the spirit is to go to church and be surrounded by other saints. And one of the first things they want when they lose that spirit is to stop going to church.

I have met far more people in my life that hated going to church or did not understand why people "have" to go to church in my life than I have people who like to attend church. They don't understand that when someone is truly converted they actually enjoy their church meetings. It is a change to feel the spirit and to hear the good word of God, among other things.

I'm reminded of a story that my brother told me when he was first getting active again in our church. A friend wanted him to go do something on a Sunday and my brother replied he couldn't because he had church that day. The friend then replied that surely he could miss one week and no one would miss him. My brother replied by telling his friend that he didn't understand, he WANTED to attend church and HE would miss church if he didn't go.

Going to church should not be a chore. It should not be distasteful. It should be a highlight of the week. It should be viewed as an opportunity to feel the spirit and grow our testimony of the gospel. This will happen when like Nephi, our heart delights in the scriptures and we desire to do good continually. May we all view our church meetings as a delight and not as a chore. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment