Friday, August 20, 2010

The Resurrection

Today I read Alma 11, which any missionary who taught investigators from the old discussions will recognize as the scripture from the 2nd discussion to help people understand the resurrection. The plan of salvation is truly remarkable and when we understand it, it swallows all fear and doubt.

Truly Paul was inspired to ask "O death, where is they sting?" in 1 Corinthians 15:55. The hurt of death is swallowed up in the glory that is Christ. The pain of loss is banished by the knowledge that you can be with your loved ones forever.

It is very interesting to me that almost everyone believes that in the next life we can be with our loved ones. When I was a missionary, our president asked us to change our tactics when tracting. He asked us to ask people if they believed they could be with their loved ones. At the time I was dubious how well it would work and truthfully I'm not sure we had any more success than with other approaches, but what DID astonish me is everyone said yes, we can! I was floored because this is not what some other religions teach. The follow up question when they would answer yes is, how is it possible. The most common response I got to that question was, I don't know but God is too good not to let me be with my family.

And truly they are right. God is in fact too good to separate us from our loved ones for all eternity, however, God like us is bound by laws and we must do our part. However, as Amulek teaches us in this chapter, the first part of the Atonement, Christ's victory over the grave, is a free gift to all who have received a body. It will come to all of us, male and female, old and young, bond and free. Everyone who has received a body even for a little bit, will be blessed with a body again in the next life. What a wonderful thing that is! I cannot wait to get to the other side and give my grandmother and grandfather another hug!

I often wonder when I am at funerals, who do those left behind weep for? The deceased? Or themselves? I think the answer is a mix. I believe that when someone young dies, they weep for the loss of opportunity for that young person, as well as themselves. When someone older dies, I think we weep for ourselves, for our loss of opportunity for that person's company and companionship. I remember when my maternal grandmother passed away. I was one of the pall bearers and also dedicated her grave site. I remember how lovely the funeral was and how much I cried. I remember the hurt in my heart, like a knife wound. And yet, when it was my turn to go up to the casket and look in one last time, I found the tears dry and my heart full of warmth and happiness and I couldn't cry anymore and I felt a smile cross my face. I was truly comforted by the Spirit and I think even a little bit by my grandmother herself. As soon as I turned away the feeling faded and the hurt came back and the tears renewed themselves. But for that brief moment I was comforted and and I remembered that I would in fact see her again and that the tears were for my loss, not for her.

I still miss my grandmother and wish she could have met my wonderful wife in this life and held my daughter and seen me get married and that I could have given her one last hug and kiss. But that is my loss, things I have to deal with and things that I have to remind myself that are temporal and that because of the sealing power, she will meet my wife, she will hold my daughter and I will get to hug and kiss her again, all because of the love Christ has for each of us and His eternal sacrifice, which we can never, ever repay. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment