Sunday, August 8, 2010

True Conversion

Today I read Mosiah 28. This chapter is where the sons of King Mosiah choose to go preach unto the Lamanites, a people who at this point were more prone to kill a Nephite on sight as much as talk to them. One can only imagine what King Mosiah must have been thinking when his sons asked his permission. I can only campare it to if your child came to get permission to go preach to the extremist Islamic peoples.

The sons of Mosiah though had become truly converted. In an earlier post I talked about what it means to be truly converted. When one is truly converted they become concerned with the welfare of those around them, even the people who are traditionally their enemies. As Mormon mentions the sons of Mosiah were the very vilest of sinners, committing diverse sins and generally not caring at all about their fellow man.

But that is what the repentance process does. When you have true godly sorrow, where you are more concerned with how God views you than you are with how man sees you, it allows you to change. And truly they were concerned with how God views them because in this chapter it says the thought of anyone suffering the type of pain they had left them horror struck. Even their enemies, they could not bear to see them leave this life unprepared.

And truly the Spirit can change you to make you view everyone as a child of God and not in terms of friends and enemies. I have never understood why people "hate" certain people. I have met very few people in my life that I just could not get along with given enough time. There were definitely people I have met that I didn't really like or enjoy being around them, but it was honestly because they drove away the Spirit.

People are natrually drawn to the type of person that they are. Oddly enough though, I have found that people of all walks of life are drawn to me. I think that is because I am so accepting and not judging of people. Most people I find are very standoffish and I have tried really hard in my life to not be that way, but rather to be like I think the Savior is. Or rather what I envision the Savior to be like. I want to leave people better than I found them, better because they have known me. Because I feel that is how the Savior would want me to live my life. I think if we had more people who were concerned with making other people better, then the world would be a better place. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment