Friday, August 13, 2010

Spending his life in Service

Today I read Alma 4. Alma 4 talks about Alma's decision of how to use his time. The first part of the chapter, the people are stirred up to a remembrance of their duty due to the suffering they had received due to the wars they've had.

However, not many years afterwords, the members of the church had become so wicked they were actually teaching those not of the church new ways to sin! They would withhold of their substance and not assist those that stood in need, would mock the humble because of their humility.

Alma seeing all of this was grieved in his heart and made a decision. He decided that it was time to withdraw his service from the judgment seat and instead devote himself totally to preaching the word of God unto his people.

This is yet another type and shadow in the Book of Mormon of the Savior himself. The Savior also in life had a profession that He worked at until He was 30 years old. Once He reached that age, He stopped His professional work and began to labor and call the people to repentance.

I remember as a missionary how much I enjoyed the work of spreading the gospel. I also remember how hard it was though. I remember catching the vision and feeling like John the Beloved before me that I wanted to do this for the rest of my life. I also remember how tired I was at the end of the two years. I remember being so drained, physically, emotionally and even spiritually. It was exhausting to feel the spirit that strongly all the time. I remember a story I heard about Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon after they received Section 76 of the Doctrine and Covenants Sidney was so tired he didn't move. Joseph Smith after his First Vision collapsed unconscious for a time, as did Moses. Spiritual experiences drain you physically.

Alma is making a great sacrifice for his people with his life in this chapter. He is giving up his old life to spend the remainder of his days in service to his people, and to God. We all need to find similar ways to serve our fellow man and devote our lives to God as much as we can. We can be instruments in His hands if we so desire. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment