Saturday, December 4, 2010

Our introduction to Moroni

Today I read Mormon 8, which is the first chapter in the Book of Mormon penned by Moroni. I often wonder if the dates of Mormon's death or the last battle of the Nephites is accurate, because I have to wonder to myself every time I read it why Moroni would wait 16 years to write something, anything. I understand completely why he doesn't write more later on because he ran out of ore, but this chapter and chapter 9 were his last pages that he had I would assume that at some point in those 16 years he would have some time to write something. Anyway, just a fun aside.

I thought of something interesting while I was reading today. I noticed that Moroni says a lot of things to the very wicked of the earth but then I got to thinking, what is the likelihood that any of those very wicked folks would actually read the Book of Mormon, let alone this far into it? At one point he speaks directly to the people who have built up their secret combinations, I really can't imagine anyone in organized crime reading the Book of Mormon.

So obviously he is talking to us who do read the Book of Mormon. He is talking to us and even though most of us are not doing that which he is warning against I think the problem is, what are we doing to combat it? He does make some very humbling observations about us though too. He speaks of those who wear very costly apparel and suffer people to go naked, those who glutton ourselves at every meal and yet watch as people go hungry. Now, most of us don't have never come across someone who is literally naked for want of clothing and I think if we did we would do something about it. But have you never found someone who is in need of better clothing than they already have, especially in the winter time?

I have blogged before about Robert, the homeless man I met on my mission. We lived in Southern California so the temperatures never got too low. I once saw a swim team practicing for their meet in an outdoor pool in February for crying out loud! And yet once you have lived there for a little while you become acclimated to the weather around you it can feel cold. I often regret that I didn't do more for that man. I tried to make sure he was fed, but what about his other needs? I could have done a better job.

People often laugh at those commercials that ask for our help to feed the poor and hungry. At least most people I know of laugh at those commercials, and yet those people are doing what they can to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to care for their fellow man. Now, I am not saying that we all need to fly to Africa and save the world or volunteer at a soup kitchen every week from now on, but isn't there more each of us could be doing? How many of us pay a generous fast offering? How many of us could give more than we currently do? How many of us could contribute to our wards missionary funds?

Heavenly Father is the most selfless individual I know of. He really and truly blesses us way more than we deserve. He asks for so little and yet gives so much in return. When we give away our money to the fast offerings in our ward, He blesses us. When we help support a missionary, even if hey are not our own, He blesses us. When we care for His children and ask for nothing in return, He blesses us. Moroni is correct that there is a lot of evil in the world, and save a few only all walk in the pride of their hearts. I know that sounds harsh, but think about just our church membership, roughly 14 million members out of 6 billion worldwide population. That's less than 1% of the worldwide population, WAY less. And not even all 14 million of those members are active and living the gospel the way they should be, not by a long shot. So yes we are a few only.

But a few people can change the course of history. Honestly even a single person can do that. 1 person can make a huge difference. Look at Mother Theresa, or Bono from the band U2, or President Monson. People can change the world. But we are not being asked by God to change the world. We are being asked to care for His children, to feed His sheep. To be humble and keep the commandments of God. Is it a hard thing He asks of us, no, not really. Does it require a conscious choice? Yes, each and every day until our very nature is changed. But I promise you it is SO worth it! Once you do it long enough you will actually even enjoy it, and that is our reward. And it is the best reward you could ever have. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment