Monday, December 20, 2010

The End of the Jaredites

Today I read Ether 15, the last chapter in the book of Ether and the end of the Jaredite people and nation. I remember once having a conversation about the Book of Mormon and how graphically violent it is with my best friend at the time and his dad. I was about 15 and all 3 of us cited this chapter as an example of how if the Book of Mormon were ever made into a movie it would be at best rated R if not NC-17.

This chapter is sad for many reasons, but I can't help but feel sad that Coriantumr saw what was happening and tried to stop it but was unable to do so because of the hatred and anger of the people. It seems to me that even if he had been willing to sacrifice his own life to save the rest of the people, the people would not have been spared and would have continued the fight anyway.

This is what happens to a people when the Spirit of the Lord stops striving with them. You would think that in the 4 years they were gathering people to their cause, at least some of them would have tried to escape into the wilderness and save their family, but from the way it is written and what we know of history, it appears that none of them did that. They just all came like lambs to the slaughter. It is hard to imagine a people so totally consumed with hatred that they would just come and join an army and fight and bring their women and children and make them fight too. Of course we don't have all the details, some of them may have honestly believed it was the only way to protect them. I still think if it had been me though I would have taken our chances with being out in the woods.

As I have stated before to me the Jaredites are the ultimate example of what not to do. I don't see a point to their record otherwise. Yes, Mahonri, Jared and their families and friends tell a great story, but almost from the moment those 2 men die it is a horrible example of human depravity. As we have said before, the best way to combat such things is to live a good and righteous life and let your life shine forth. Be an example of good around you and do what the Lord asks of you. Focus on living the Gospel and loving the Gospel. Do this and your life will not only have meaning, but it will be the happiest life you can have in this life. And of course you will be blessed for it too. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment