Thursday, December 2, 2010

The End of the Nephites

Today I read Mormon 6, where all but 24 of the Nephites are destroyed effectively destroying the Nephites nation. The most famous part of this chapter is Mormon's lament for his fallen people. I know I just commented on it the other day but I am just appalled by the genocidal tendencies of the Lamanites and their unconquerable hatred of the Nephites.

However, actually the part of this chapter that stood out to me was the faith of Mormon. This is quite obviously written after the fact and during the lull after the battle before Mormon was killed. What amazes me though is the fact that Mormon states before he went into battle he hid up all the records except the plates of Nephi that he had spent his life working on and had given that to his son, Moroni.

What surprises me though is the fact that after he has bequeathed the scriptures to him, Mormon then allows Moroni to take part in the battle where the most likely outcome is that they both will die. I can only conclude that one of two things happened to allow him to take part in that battle, either Moroni hid up the plates before the battle, or Mormon was promised through revelation that Moroni would survive the battle, or perhaps both.

As we close our sad chapter on the life of Mormon I think one last comment is worthy of such a wonderful man. I think Mormon is a perfect example of the fact that the Book of Mormon is not a work of fiction, while it is possible to write a fictional character with such passion, it is very challenging to do so, and if you read the book of Mormon, the record of his life, the Spirit will testify the truth of his words. There truly is no one more worthy of our love and pity in all the Book of Mormon save Mormon himself. I cannot envision what he must have gone through, having to watch his people slide into sin and debauchery and then having them all die right before his eyes, under his own protection.

As I read his final lamentation for his people my heart aches for this man. We often say and are told that our trials are for us and meant to help us grow. My wife gets very frustrated with me sometimes because I am fond of saying that I don't have any trials because almost as soon as they are over I forget all the heartache I had with them and they seem but a very small blip on the radar when I view them in hindsight. My wife is very much a give credit where credit is due kind of woman and gets really upset that I don't give myself enough credit sometimes, but the fact of the matter is, I look around me and I have a very easy life. I see many trials in the lives around me and I would not want any of them.

But Mormon had a very tough trial, definitely tougher than most I think, although Moroni's wasn't much easier. I am intrigued by the amount of pure charity Mormon possesses. Were I in Mormon's shoes I'm not sure I could summon enough compassion to mourn the passing of such a wicked race of people, let alone true charity to actually lament their destruction. The natural man is strong in me and I can't help but feel the justice in their destruction and that they brought it on themselves. And yet, Mormon only is saddened that they are going to meet their God and judge unprepared.

The only way to overcome the natural man is through the help of Heavenly Father. We have to ask for His help and allow Him to change us. It can't happen if we are not prepared. That is another purpose of the Book of Mormon, and people will see it and feel it when they are ready. Mormon even told us a few chapters ago that he wanted to bring people to Christ. How can we come to Christ if we do not prepare ourselves to meet Him? May we all let the Spirit into our lives and change us so that we too can come unto Him who is mighty to save. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment