Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Word Shall not Pass Away

Today I started reading the Doctrine and Covenants and of course, I started with reading D&C 1. It's interesting to me, thanks to seminary there are a lot of chapters in the 4 standard works that I could tell you what the basis of that chapter is just by hearing which chapter it is. Mostly it has to do with the scripture masteries in the case of the Doctrine and Covenants. D&C section 1 is one such case.

Before I re-read it today I could have told you that it was the preface to the original publication of the Book of Commandments that was published around 1831. I could have told you that it contains the verse were the Lord states He is pleased with the church, collectively and not individually, and that the Lord declares that the church is the only true and living church upon the face of the earth. And finally I could have told you that it contains the phrase whether by mine own voice or the voice of my servants, it is the same, one of the scripture masteries.

There was quite a bit we could have chosen from here to talk about today. However, I think the part that stood out to me today was the part about the Lord's prophecies and His word will not pass away but must all be fulfilled. We live in a day and age where it seems to me that people not only doubt the word of God, but they almost seem to be defying God to prove that He is in fact there. I don't see how anyone can doubt a God exists with all the miracles that happen each and every day.

To get the most out of the Doctrine and Covenants I think we have to understand the context that the sections are given in. For example, this section was given in 1831 and persecution, both from without, and also from within the church was starting to get intense. And so the Lord is here re-assuring His saints that He is God and that what they are doing is the right thing. It is also a reassurance that the Lord's word will not pass away and will in fact be fulfilled as they have been spoken.

Now, in some cases this is extremely comforting, I don't mind having the Lord's prophecies about the good things come to pass. But I also see an alarming trend in where the world is heading and by consequence I see where the prophecies of the Lord that aren't so pleasant must soon come to pass. In a way, a very sad way, this is necessary and needed to bring people back to Christ. People have a tendency to forget about the spiritual matters during the day to day drudgery of life. I too have at times in my life tossed spiritual matters aside and not given them the attention that they needed in my life. I have since repented and tried my best to make sure that I am not putting off the things of the Lord for more secular reasons. It can be hard at times that is for sure.

But it is also a comfort to know that God is in charge and that He will not abandon us. It is a comfort to know we can rely upon the Lord and trust Him to take care of us and to give us the experiences that are necessary for our growth and eternal progression. And no matter how bad things get, He will not abandon us, and even though there are some really scary prophecies out there of what is to come, as we do what is right, you can know that whatever happens to you will be for your benefit and you will not be taken before your time if you remain righteous and true. And that is also a comfort, at least it is to me. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment