Sunday, December 5, 2010

Joy in the Journey

Today I read Mormon 9, the final chapter in the book of Mormon, written by his son, Moroni. The vast majority of what Moroni talks about in this chapter we have already talked about. He talks about the nature of God and why miracles have stopped, he reminds us to not take the sacrament unworthily, just as Jesus Christ did when he visited the Nephites. He asks us to not be baptized unworthily. He asks us to use this life wisely and prepare to meet God.

The part of this chapter that I have always found interesting is the end of the chapter when Moroni starts talking about him imperfections and the limitations of the language he and his people have used to write the Book of Mormon. Every time I read this, I wonder what are the imperfections that Moroni is referring to? I honestly don't see them. The Book of Mormon is so powerful and moving that I cannot honestly imagine what Moroni is referring to here.

I almost hesitate to talk about this here because I don't want to steal my own thunder. Everyone who has read the Book of Mormon before knows that Moroni talks about his weaknesses again in Ether 12 and that is when I had planned to talk about weaknesses. The part of this chapter that really intrigues me is the part about languages. I like languages and their intricacies. I like the little nuances of languages and I find it intriguing that Moroni talks a little bit about languages here.

I must admit that I don't know anything about the Hebrew language so I do not know why Moroni says the plates are not large enough for them to have written in Hebrew. To my way of thinking you write as much as you can on the size plate you have and you just add more plates or paper or whatever you are writing on. I honestly believe the real reason they did not write in Hebrew is just what Moroni says it is in the very next verse, that no one knows their language so no one could interpret it save God help them with it.

In the last chapter Moroni mentioned that the plates are of no worth to anyone for the metal that they are written on, but are of inestimable worth to wish to come unto Christ. Of course the amount of gold the plates are made out of would of course be worth much, but God will not allow this to happen. He will not allow His purposes to be frustrated. Therefore, as Moroni stated, they are of no worth to those seeking to get gain.

I also think it would have been neat to be in Moroni's shoes, he doesn't say it here but he does later that he writes unto us as though we were present. I think the Lord showed him our day and age to help Moroni, so he would have compassion on us and know that what he was doing is of worth. It must have been a little strange to know that what you are writing now would be read by someone hundreds of years in the future. It must have been an incredible burden on the prophets who wrote this.

But I believe it was all worth it to them. They speak of ridding their garments of our blood so that they can stand blameless before God at the last day, but I think there is more to it than that. I think these men who wrote this for us enjoyed it. I think they found pleasure in recording their testimony of Christ for future generations. Men who are so converted enjoy sharing their testimony of the gospel and of Jesus Christ. Even though it must have been incredibly challenging to scratch out these scriptures into metal plates, I know they would all say it was worth it. It makes me extremely glad for computers. If I make a typo, I just have to backspace it out. I can only imagine if these men made an error they must have had to smelt down the plate and start over again.

But I think that is what this life is all about, which we have discussed before. We are here to learn to find joy in the work of Christ. It does not come naturally to most. It is something we have to work at. But as Nephi taught us we are that we might have joy. God wants us to be happy. His most fervent desire is that we can be happy for the same reasons He is happy, but He allows us that choice. As Moroni pleads, lets not waste this probation and prepare now to meet God and find joy in His work. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment