Thursday, December 9, 2010

Light and Knowledge

Today I read Ether 4, where Moroni was commanded to write the vision which Mahonri saw and then seal it until we display the faith that the brother of Jared did. Most of the chapter is a direct quotation of the Savior that Moroni recorded. Jesus states that these things are not had among the children of men because of unbelief.

It really makes me wonder why people would not believe in God. But then I got to thinking that Satan is good at his job. I say that because I've been having my own experience with Satan trying to convince me of something. I've been having a bit of a rough time recently and been doubting some things. I made a big decision with my wife last year and now because of what is happening I've been doubting if we made the right decision. Once I was removed from the situation that is troubling me, I remembered that we both had received spiritual confirmation that this decision was the right one and that God wanted us to do this. But because of the tough time I've been having Satan has been able to put that worm of doubt in my mind and because of the way I've been feeling, downtrodden and sad, it has allowed that worm to fester and grow.

So I can understand how people can ignore all the evidences before them and disbelieve God. Also as we mentioned yesterday, we are never standing still, we are either progressing or regressing. If we regress, and do not live up to the light and knowledge that we have been given to that point, then it will be taken away. We've seen it in several cultures over the centuries, not the least of which is the Lamanites or American Indians. I'm sure most of you have seen it in someone you know in your personal life. I have a friend that was a good strong member during his childhood, fell away for 20 years, and then came back as an adult and he had to be retaught everything except the most basic of basics.

It is really interesting to me that so many people, including me at times, in their times of most distress do not turn to God. Some will try and handle it on their own, like me. Some will turn to other less wholesome pursuits to help them cope with it. It never ceases to amaze me that Satan is so good at what he does an in convincing us that his way is the best way. The one that has always amused me the most is feeling unworthy or being afraid to pray. I have a friend, a bishop in past ward that I was executive secretary to for a little over a year, who used to say, why are people afraid to pray after sinning? We are not going to tell God anything He doesn't already know. How true that is! God sees all and hears all, He already knows you screwed up. But guess what, we still need to talk to Him and pray about it. Because if we do not, then someone else will be talking to us, and we don't want that, I promise you.

It is important to increase in light and knowledge in this life, as much as we can. But it is perhaps even more important to make sure that we don't increase faster than we can keep up with. Whatever level we attain to, we will be expected to live up to whatever covenants we have made and whatever knowledge we have obtained. That is why it is so important to not rush people to go to the temple their first time. They need to be ready. That is why God teaches us line upon line and then waits to see if we will live up to that line He has given us. That is why such a marvelous and wonderful revelation as was shown the brother of Jared is not just out there for the world to read. They are not ready for the level of light and knowledge it would give them. Most of us are not ready for it either.

It is another tender mercy of the Lord that He does things this way or we would all be doomed. I don't say that lightly. It is a very real fact that we need to live up to what we have been taught up to this point or it will be taken away from us. And if that happens, our eternal progression is severely hampered. So, keep your covenants and live up to the promises you have made. Trust me when I tell you from personal and close friend experience, it is a long hard road to get back what you once had. Much harder and longer than the first time it was given to you, because you have to prove yourself even more. Don't put yourself through it. No sin is worth it. I promise you that. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment