Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Women of Zion

2 Nephi 13 - 14 focuses on some war that Isaiah is prophesying about and he spends an exorbitant amount of time talking about the women of the day and how they will be humbled and 7 of them will want to be called by 1 man's name. As I was reading these chapters several things came into my mind.

The first was the changing role of women through the ages. Now, I am a very old fashioned guy and believe one of he worst things that has ever happened to women is the so called women's liberation. Now, don't get me wrong. Women should never be treated like second class citizens and they should have a full partnership with their husbands in the marriage and a single woman should not be looked at as less than human because she is single. However, it is women's liberation that has somehow made it so some women think they are better than men, or made some women hate men because of all the centuries of oppression their ancestors have endured. The same phenomenon can be observed in some people of African descent who's direct ancestors were slaves to people of British descent here in America and some how make those people pay for what their ancestors did. The idea is ludicrous. I firmly believe both ideas are mistaken and faulty and are inspired by the evil one and come from low self worth. If a person has a sense of their own self worth, it does not matter what happened in the past. They will only focus on the now and the future.

The other thought that occurred to me while reading these chapters was the idea that the Lord will have a humble people and if we will not humble ourselves, He will do it for us! I think the sign of a humble person, in particular a woman, is how they carry themselves. They are not concerned with how others perceive them. It occurred to me as I was reading these chapters and thinking these thoughts that I have had 3 true girlfriends in my life and was lucky enough to marry the best of the 3. However, all 3 of them had one thing in common. They never wear jewelry or makeup except on special occasions. Now, I do not think there is anything wrong with jewelry or makeup, as long as both are done tastefully. However, they almost never are. Most of the jewelry I see women wearing is designed to distract, not to enhance. Just an example of this, but at my last job and also my current job, I sometimes see women with hoop earrings that I swear I could fit my entire head into. This is not only gaudy, it is distracting. I have literally lost my train of thought after seeing someone walk by with hoop earrings that are that big. I just couldn't focus! And I think that is what Heavenly Father is talking about in these chapters.

I remember in seminary reading these chapters and the teenage girls freaking out that they could no longer wear jewelry. As I recall the instructor tried to teach them exactly what I have pointed out above but I don't think most of them understood it because as we all know, teenage women, and sadly some teenage men these days, are quite taken with wearing very gaudy jewelry. My seminary class was no exception.

So I guess my insight to the day is our outward appearance is a direct reflection on our own sense of self worth, humility and devotion to God. So make sure you are showing your true colors wisely. And don't you think by looking at those who are walking around looking like they fell into the closets and some clothes fell on them and they just left them that way, that most people know this principle deep down? I mean how many times have we commented on a teenagers dress only to have them respond with they are trying to express themselves. If people were honest with themselves they already know that their dress is a reflection of who they really are.

So, dress for success and all that jazz. But more importantly, dress to show your love for our Heavenly Father. Adorn yourselves, ladies only, with jewelry and makeup to enhance and not distract. After all, we already have one Mr. T, and that's enough for this world! :) Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment