Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Call of Isaiah

Today I read 2 Nephi 16 - 17. I think Chapter 17 is a good example of why people get confused when reading Isaiah. All the imagery can make it very difficult to follow. But like Nephi said, that is because we are not learned in the ways of the Jews and, unfortunately, we lack the Spirit most of the time to really understand what they are talking about. When we have the Spirit with us though, even the most obscure scripture becomes clear.

However, the thought that stood out to me today comes from chapter 16. This is Isaiah's call tot he ministry. I have always enjoyed verse 11. Verse 11 is a classic example of how you can read things a dozen times over and one day you suddenly read it and say to yourself, "How have I missed this all this time?"

When I was a missionary and in seminary I was always taught that verse 11 means that Isaiah's call was for the rest of his life, and truly it was. However, I also believe verses 11 - 13 are referring to the invasion of Israel by Assyria in 721 b.c. and the subsequent return of a portion of that people. I probably have some of my facts incorrect, however the phrase "And there shall be a tenth, and they shall return..." makes me think of a temporal event and during the life of Isaiah or even there abouts the leading away captive of the 10 tribes by Assyria is the only event I know of.

However, it is interesting to note that there was a temporal date if you will affixed to Isaiah's ministry, but in a very real sense it was also a call for the rest of his life. As is all of our callings. We are all missionaries from the moment we are baptized in His name. We all have the call to help call others to repentance and have them join us in the waters of baptism. May we all live up to our God's expectation of that call to each of us. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment